Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
G3 GFX
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 528i
Buying E90 Advice!

I'm looking to purchase an E90 for the wife, but I have several questions..

I'm looking for a 2006-2008, whichever is the best option (price + mileage + options etc)... My question to you guys is, is it worth it?

What are the major problems you guys have faced with these cars?

How much money have you spent fixing the car if any?

The reason why I ask these questions is because, I have several friends who drive E90's and some have had minor problems while others have had major problems... I had an E46 that barely ever gave me problems and last me 12 years... I currently drive an F10 and "knock on wood" it has given me zero problems till this point..

Thank you guys for the input in advance!
G3 GFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
Are you looking for a 328 or 335? There are some things specific to the 335 that the 328 doesn't have, mostly due to the turbos and stuff required to run the turbos. But like an E46 (or any other car) proper maintenance will prevent most major problems. Also I guess you could get lucky or unlucky and get a good or bad example. I don't think the E90 in general has more problems than an E46. Also, if you can buy CPO from a dealership, a lot of people recommend buying an extended warranty for it.
atinybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
G3 GFX
OEM ///Member

I haven't really chosen between the two, whichever one makes more sense for me to buy I'll buy, it will come down to the best available one, as far as color, interior etc..
Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
atinybug

Also, 2006 model year sedans, while the chassis is an E90, the engine is still the same as the E46, meaning you have a 325 or 330. And if you're looking at 2007 335i, make sure to get one built after March, because that's when they put an oil cooler in. The ones build before didn't come with one from the factory.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
G3 GFX
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
Also, 2006 model year sedans, while the chassis is an E90, the engine is still the same as the E46, meaning you have a 325 or 330. And if you're looking at 2007 335i, make sure to get one built after March, because that's when they put an oil cooler in. The ones build before didn't come with one from the factory.
Awesome, thank you for your knowledge!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
You specified 2006 to 2008, but the 2009 and laters are more refined to the run flat tires. My wife's 2007 rides a lot rougher over bumps than my 2011 does. It is partially the newer tires that I have and partially a better refined suspension. I was told by the service department that the later E90s were more refined.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
Also, 2006 model year sedans, while the chassis is an E90, the engine is still the same as the E46, meaning you have a 325 or 330.
Incorrect. N52 is a totally different design.

OP. Ive had an alternator and window regulator go in my E90. Not that big a deal to DIY.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period

Last edited by Recon2005; 04-22-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
atinybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon2005 View Post
Incorrect. N52 is a totally different design.
Sorry, you're right. But either way, the 2006 comes as a 325 or 330, then 2007 got another new set of engines for the 328 and 335.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Lunatic

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I'm also interested....in the market for a 07-08 335i sedan and wana know things that go wrong or anything that is common in this model..... Like the subframe with e46 and stuff like that
Lunatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
d'ray18

My Ride: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I'm also interested....in the market for a 07-08 335i sedan and wana know things that go wrong or anything that is common in this model..... Like the subframe with e46 and stuff like that
I have an 08 E90 335i, owned since new and love the car.. You definitely want to have an oil cooler, not sure if this started in 08 or late 07 models. I would say the most common issues have been with the high pressure fuel pump (bmw extended the warranty on the part, and also updated the dme to prime the pump upon startup to fix issues), injectors (bmw issued a recall), water pump (will eventually go out and when it does you have to tow the car since your overheating warning light puts the car in limp mode, so do some preventive maintenance if still on original water pump). For reliability sake I would also advise to mod with caution and choose your tune and/or bolt on products wisely if going aftermarket for more performance. Good luck in your search. Let me know if you have specific questions.

2008 E90 335i
d'ray18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'ray18 View Post
I have an 08 E90 335i, owned since new and love the car.. You definitely want to have an oil cooler, not sure if this started in 08 or late 07 models. I would say the most common issues have been with the high pressure fuel pump (bmw extended the warranty on the part, and also updated the dme to prime the pump upon startup to fix issues), injectors (bmw issued a recall), water pump (will eventually go out and when it does you have to tow the car since your overheating warning light puts the car in limp mode, so do some preventive maintenance if still on original water pump). For reliability sake I would also advise to mod with caution and choose your tune and/or bolt on products wisely if going aftermarket for more performance. Good luck in your search. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Nice! Thanks!
Yeah I learned with my e46 that preventive maintenance is the best maintenance lol. What water pump is good for the model..... I put a Stewart high flow in my e46 and it was amazing it was metal impeller and everything so definitely looking for parts similar to that scenario.... and what do you mean mod with caution? And tune?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
d'ray18

Quote:
Nice! Thanks!
and what do you mean mod with caution? And tune?
The N54 is essentially a 400hp engine that is detuned to 300hp from the factory so lot's of tunes (flashes, piggybacks, etc.) out there and bolt on parts (intercoolers, charge pipes, downpipes, etc.) for enhancing performance. So much untapped performance potential that you almost have to go with some kind of tune even if it's more on the conservative end. If you put a tune that raises the boost, advances timing, etc., you put added stress on engine bits so you want to be sure you have good plugs, injectors, or you will have misfire issues, and in some cases with bolt on parts the clamps may not be installed properly so you can get boost leaks and stuff that will hurt performance which can be super frustrating.. I guess what I'm saying is make sure you invest in good quality parts and install correctly to avoid having to trouble shoot issues down the road. Modding the car can get addicting so beware LOL.

2008 E90 335i

Last edited by d'ray18; 12-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
Lunatic

Quote:
The N54 is essentially a 400hp engine that is detuned to 300hp from the factory so lot's of tunes (flashes, piggybacks, etc.) out there and bolt on parts for enhancing performance. So much untapped performance potential that you almost have to go with some kind of tune even if it's more on the conservative end. If you put a tune that raises the boost, etc., you put added stress on engine bits so you want to be sure you have good plugs, injectors, or you will have misfire issues, and in some cases with bolt on parts the clamps may not be installed properly so you can get boost leaks and stuff that will hurt performance which can be super frustrating.. I guess what I'm saying is make sure you invest in good quality parts and install correctly to avoid having to trouble shoot issues down the road. Modding the car can get addicting so beware LOL, for me I invested in a flash tune and have been happy with the hp increase when coupled with suspension bits and LSD.
Ahhh I see Lol thanks! I'm probably gana start with brakes and suspension before I go to the boost increase and actual performance. That will probably be one of my last if not the last mod. I figure trying to make it built proof before I start shooting at it lol .
Another question.....I can't seem to find a MT mostly AT with the paddle shifters (SMG?) kind of deal.....so I'm guessing if I can't find a good deal on one with a MT I'd go with the AT....but at the same time I don't wanna come into issues with it after adding more power that it can take...or cause the tranny to limit the potential of the car......I guess what I'm trying to ask is should I really try harder to find a MT or will the AT do the job well without mods, and if there are mods for AT to strengthen them.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
d'ray18

Quote:
Ahhh I see Lol thanks! I'm probably gana start with brakes and suspension before I go to the boost increase and actual performance. That will probably be one of my last if not the last mod. I figure trying to make it built proof before I start shooting at it lol .
Another question.....I can't seem to find a MT mostly AT with the paddle shifters (SMG?) kind of deal.....so I'm guessing if I can't find a good deal on one with a MT I'd go with the AT....but at the same time I don't wanna come into issues with it after adding more power that it can take...or cause the tranny to limit the potential of the car......I guess what I'm trying to ask is should I really try harder to find a MT or will the AT do the job well without mods, and if there are mods for AT to strengthen them.
I have AT. If you aren't trying to make huge HP (500>+ rwtq) the AT can hold the power , however there is a company that is people are sending their AT tranny for upgrade, Level 10 you can look into. Also there is the Alpina tranny flash for the 4/2007 > build dates that provides quicker shifting, rev matching, etc.,

2008 E90 335i
Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Lunatic

Quote:
I have AT. If you aren't trying to make huge HP (500>+ rwtq) the AT can hold the power , however there is a company that is people are sending their AT tranny for upgrade, Level 10 you can look into. Also there is the Alpina tranny flash for the 4/2007 > build dates that provides quicker shifting, rev matching, etc.,
Nice! Thanks men! Really appreciate the help Lol I've been working on my e46 for almost 3 yes but this is going to be my first e90 thanks for the knowledge!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
d'ray18

Quote:
Nice! Thanks men! Really appreciate the help Lol I've been working on my e46 for almost 3 yes but this is going to be my first e90 thanks for the knowledge!
No prob, happy to help! Good luck with search.

2008 E90 335i