Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
What were they thinking with the power off settings?

My 2010 328iX has the mirror-mounted garage door opener. And one of the things that drives me nuts is that when I pull the car into the garage if I shut the engine down before I close the door, the power to the opener cuts. This seems like a pretty odd consideration, some sort of goofy Germanic consideration? Any way to change this using the iDrive setting?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
HKD

My Ride: 08 335i coupe
Seems like a safety feature. They wouldn't want you to leave the engine on and close the garage door. Although with today's emission standards you'd probably end up with a headache. Why not just close it with the garage door controller on the way into the house?
HKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
grafiksguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD View Post
Seems like a safety feature. They wouldn't want you to leave the engine on and close the garage door. Although with today's emission standards you'd probably end up with a headache. Why not just close it with the garage door controller on the way into the house?
Yeah, I do that. It's not really a biggie, just one of those annoying things that would've been easy to alleviate. Simply keep the accessory stuff powered for a minute or two after the car's turned off to allow for things like that. I think its amplified by the ease of shutting the car down by pressing the start button which also makes it less intuitive than a conventional key-turn where you could easily turn it back a click to power the other stuff. I know you can do the same with the button but somehow it just seems to make the whole process more complicated than it needs to be. At the end of the day I'm not sold on the whole push button start thing. Maybe I'm too "analog" but it seems like a gimmick with limited advantages. Especially the way BMW implements it, where you need to insert the key fob, THEN push the button. We now have to do two things to start the car instead of one. Why is that better?

Last edited by grafiksguy; 03-09-2013 at 08:45 AM.
grafiksguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
AutoFreak

My Ride: 2009 335i sedan
Personally, I thinks it's for your safety, but not from carbon monoxide, from theft. It always used to annoy me that if I left my Chrysler 300c out in the driveway or street, you could break into the car and open the garage door through the homelink system, even without the key in the car. Dumb.

Just curious, I always use my wall mounted garage door opener after I get out of the car and head into the house. Don't you?

Last edited by AutoFreak; 03-09-2013 at 11:08 AM.
AutoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
grafiksguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoFreak View Post
Personally, I thinks it's for your safety, but not from carbon monoxide, from theft. It always used to annoy me that if I left my Chrysler 300c out in the driveway or street, you could break into the car and open the garage door through the homelink system, even without the key in the car. Dumb.

Just curious, I always use my wall mounted garage door opener after I get out of the car and head into the house. Don't you?
Winter time and some cold days when I like to close things up quickly. I also fail to see how complicated it is to have the system active while the fob is still in the dash. Once out one would expect that everything would shut down, but I'm ove the mind that just pressing the start button shouldn't kill half the systems.