Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
New to the e90 scene

Hey guys. Well I'm not exactly new to the e90 scene yet. I was taking a look at an 2010 e92 328i over here with about 47k miles on it that is a CPO from a BMW dealership around here. It comes with M package, nav, brown/black interior leather and many other options for about 26k. Before I take a look at the car, I know myself and I am a very picky car owner. Consistent upkeep with my e46 is tiring me out, and I really dont want an e92 to be as bad as this. I understand all preventative maintenance is necessary and I've been an e46 owner for a while now, but simply how is the experience compared to the e46? I'm definitely looking for a more detailed answer I guess but I don't know exactly which questions to ask. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
chopin1012

My Ride: 2001 325i
I've had my E90 330i since November. It has 94000 miles. The only things I've had to do are rear brakes, tighten a loose wire in a headlight, change my outside temp sensor ($30), and I just replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley ($118/40 min). As only two small items weren't normal wear items, I'm quite happy. From reading on this forum it seems the only regular issue is failure of the electric water pump and doing a transmission service by 100k. No one seems to need to replace cooling tanks, or constantly replace regulators and bushings. No mention of sub frame issues. So far, this car is lasting much better than my E46 325i. I live the way it drives and, other than a future water pump, only anticipate a possible oil pan gasket, which my Indy says it's typical for many BMWs. That's just my personal experience. I expect to do more work than on a Honda, but I buy used in good condition and DIY to give myself an affordable but fun car to drive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Bimmer App
chopin1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
The wife and I had 4 E46s between us. Wonderful cars, but the last one, now 8 years old, was starting to reach a point where maintenance gets more frequent. I always wanted stick shift and more power, and I got it in my 2011 E91 wagon. The car feels a bit bigger, but not much, than an e46. It is a lot quieter, and a lot more power than my 325i. I had a 330i, but this seems as fast without making as much noise. My wife's 2007 rides a lot rougher than mine, so buy the latest E90 than you can afford. My HD radio is the best radio I've had, but I never had an HK radio in any of our BMWs.

I don't like the nav in the wife's E90. It's too complicated to select an address versus my E46 nav and certainly versus any Garmin nav. My E91 does not have nav so I will use my iphone 5 for now and later I can swap out the radio for a 7" aftermarket unit with nav, if needed. I preferred the auto wipers in the E46. The auto wiper feature has to be turned on every time you get into an E90, but good in case you forget to turn it off before going to the car wash. Also good on the E91, and this is not on the wife's, is that a lot of features like auto door locking and DLS can be programmed by the driver off the computer and not by taking it to the dealer for an expensive reprogramming charge. All in all, I think I like this car more, especially with 6 speed stick and 40 more hp.

Last edited by tootall; 03-02-2013 at 11:54 AM.
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
TekNoire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
The wife and I had 4 E46s between us. Wonderful cars, but the last one, now 8 years old, was starting to reach a point where maintenance gets more frequent. I always wanted stick shift and more power, and I got it in my 2011 E91 wagon. The car feels a bit bigger, but not much, than an e46. It is a lot quieter, and a lot more power than my 325i. I had a 330i, but this seems as fast without making as much noise. My wife's 2007 rides a lot rougher than mine, so buy the latest E90 than you can afford. My HD radio is the best radio I've had, but I never had an HK radio in any of our BMWs.

I don't like the nav in the wife's E90. It's too complicated to select an address versus my E46 nav and certainly versus any Garmin nav. My E91 does not have nav so I will use my iphone 5 for now and later I can swap out the radio for a 7" aftermarket unit with nav, if needed. I preferred the auto wipers in the E46. The auto wiper feature has to be turned on every time you get into an E90, but good in case you forget to turn it off before going to the car wash. Also good on the E91, and this is not on the wife's, is that a lot of features like auto door locking and DLS can be programmed by the driver off the computer and not by taking it to the dealer for an expensive reprogramming charge. All in all, I think I like this car more, especially with 6 speed stick and 40 more hp.
I actually picked up an e92 already this past monday and I am loving it exponentially more than my e46 so far.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
tootall

I'm starting to bond with my E91 as well. Love the power and the six speed stick!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
TekNoire7

Quote:
I'm starting to bond with my E91 as well. Love the power and the six speed stick!
I was so surprised it had a sixth gear.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
tootall

All E90s have six gears, stick and auto, should be no surprise, but to former E46 5 speeders, it is a pleasant treat.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
TekNoire7

Quote:
All E90s have six gears, stick and auto, should be no surprise, but to former E46 5 speeders, it is a pleasant treat.
Yup I came from an e46 328i so I was