Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Blondenbald

My Ride: 2010 BMW M3
Top Speed Limitation

My son just turned 16 and has his operators license and I am trying to find out if there is a way that I can limit the top end speed on my 2010 M3. The car has a double clutch transmission. I know it has a limitation from the factory but I am looking for something much more restrictive. I have seen a lot of threads about removing the speed limitation but nothing on making it more restrictive.
Blondenbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
emgee

My Ride: 3 pedal 2005 325xi
does it have to be an m3?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
You could restrict it by getting him something with less then 400hp. If I got my hands on my dads m3 at 16 I would spend most of my time driving it sideways.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Buy him an accord
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Blondenbald

Are you bored?

To all those with too little to do and too much time on their hands: I did not ask for your smart-ass remarks. I simply asked if anyone had any knowledge on the subject posted! Not that it is any of your business, but if you read the post you would see it is MY car. Of course my son wants to drive it and I am looking for a safety precaution. Now you can get back to you obvioulsy uninteresting life.

I am looking for a solution, not ridicule or smart-ass comments. PLEASE, if you can't comprehend the question or cannot offer advice about the original thread, don't waste my time.

Last edited by Blondenbald; 01-28-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
What about a detuned preset?

Like Valet mode?

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
///MPR77

Like a Valet mode?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Blondenbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutm3 View Post
You could restrict it by getting him something with less then 400hp. If I got my hands on my dads m3 at 16 I would spend most of my time driving it sideways.
Great idea! Wish I had thought of that. I will sell my M3 and buy something else. Thanks, Mr. Obvious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
Buy him an accord
And yet another response that has nothing to do with the post. If you don't have anything related to say perhaps you should say nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post

Like Valet mode?
Not sure what you mean by that? I understand the concept but how would I accomplish it?

Last edited by Solidjake; 01-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondenbald View Post
To all those with too little to do and too much time on their hands: I did not ask for your smart-ass remarks. I simply asked if anyone had any knowledge on the subject posted! Not that it is any of your business, but if you read the post you would see it is MY car. Of course my son wants to drive it and I am looking for a safety precaution. Now you can get back to you obvioulsy uninteresting life.

I am looking for a solution, not ridicule or smart-ass comments. PLEASE, if you can't comprehend the question or cannot offer advice about the original thread, don't waste my time.
Jesus Christ man. People just trying to joke a little.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
///MPR77

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that? I understand the concept but how would I accomplish it?
I am not well versed in tuning at all, but I had read about a system that allowed for toggling between an eco tune, performance tune, and a valet tune that was more restrictive.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
This is an E46 forum for M3's up to year 2006 FYI.

Personally I would ONLY let him drive the car with you in it. When I was 18 I crashed my dads 528i. Imagine what someone younger can do with a car with more power... It's inevitable sorry to say.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
You'll probably have better luck asking the folks on m3forum.net

Interior Pioneer avic z2--brushed aluminum vinyled trim--wind deflecter
Exterior Csl front bumper--Gold CSL reps--Macht Schnell spacers 18mmf/10mmr--Ebay trunk spoiler
Performance Macht Schnell intake elbow--K&N drop in--Manzo Headers (still in box lol)-- TCKline/Ground Control Coilovers
Lighting OEM LED taillight retrofit w/ amber vinyl--Chris Brown mod--3500k H7's--6000k morimoto D2s's--6000k ccfl angel eyes--LED's everywhere
KaliVertBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
My son just turned 16 and has his operators license and I am trying to find out if there is a way that I can limit the top end speed on my 2010 M3. The car has a double clutch transmission. I know it has a limitation from the factory but I am looking for something much more restrictive. I have seen a lot of threads about removing the speed limitation but nothing on making it more restrictive.
The answer is "no" to your question.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
Quote:
Great idea! Wish I had thought of that. I will sell my M3 and buy something else. Thanks, Mr. Obvious!

And yet another response that has nothing to do with the post. If you don't have anything related to say perhaps you should say nothing!

Those actually seem reasonable suggestions; but not what you want to hear, I gather. If this other driver cannot be trusted to keep the speed down, then there are plenty of other problems with power before 155 mph. Limiting the top speed doesn't matter too much. It is plenty reckless to drive 60 mph in residential areas and an M3 will reach that speed in short seconds and even a Honda will get there in a moment.

If it's like the E46 M3, don't let the other driver disable the traction control. But even stating this restriction to an untrusted person will make the DSC button jolly and candy-like.

Maybe you could get some sort of a black box that records driving actions like speed, g-force, wheel spin, and whatnot.
I suggest taking your son to a track area and exceeding the car's limits where nothing will get hit (your M3, pedestrians or other cars). This would not only develop driving skills, but would temper the curiosity to experiment with these limits in an improper area.

Last edited by Slyde; 01-28-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: grammar... an unruly snake.
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Someone link the video to the kid crashing the m3 in the desert.

Interior Pioneer avic z2--brushed aluminum vinyled trim--wind deflecter
Exterior Csl front bumper--Gold CSL reps--Macht Schnell spacers 18mmf/10mmr--Ebay trunk spoiler
Performance Macht Schnell intake elbow--K&N drop in--Manzo Headers (still in box lol)-- TCKline/Ground Control Coilovers
Lighting OEM LED taillight retrofit w/ amber vinyl--Chris Brown mod--3500k H7's--6000k morimoto D2s's--6000k ccfl angel eyes--LED's everywhere
KaliVertBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
emgee

My Ride: 3 pedal 2005 325xi
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
I too hate when people post useless, unfunny things in threads with legitimate questions.

On the subject of helpful things...

I know that Vishnu and/or JuiceBox tuning for 335's has a "Valet Mode" that restrict the car to 100hp, 100lb-ft of tq, so it wouldn't be far fetched at all to look for some performance tuning for your car. Certain companies plug-&-play software can alter your A/F ratio and INCREASE power, along with also having optional driving settings like: Standard, Race, Valet, etc.

Something else might be a custom map that sets the rev-limiter to hold the car below 4000 rpms, etc. I wish I had more information about who had software/ecu/chip/reflashes for the E92M, but I don't. Hope that helps.

Best of luck dude.
-Chris

E92M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:

And yet while you lecture others in your condescending tone on whether the responses are (in your opinion) relevant - you posted a technical question on an E92 M3 on an E46 board.

And you somehow expect to receive relevant answers on a board that has NOTHING to do with your car.

Typical entitlement FNG.

Last edited by Alan; 01-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
And yet while you lecture others in your condescending tone on whether the responses are (in your opinion) relevant - you posted a technical question on an E92 M3 on an E46 board.

And you somehow expect to receive relevant answers on a board that has NOTHING to do with your car.

Typical entitlement FNG.
Are you on some kind of anti E92 rant today?
-Chris

Last edited by E92M; 01-28-2013 at 08:20 PM.
E92M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i

This has everything to do with the post! Why on earth might one want to let his newly licensed 16 year old boy drive an E92 BMW M3 that was probably in excess of $70,000 when it was brand new two years ago? Oh that's right, it makes perfect sense to hand your son the keys to your 414 horsepower car and say "don't reck it." No matter how much you limit it colossal damage can still be done.

Tags
speed sensor