Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
R90s

My Ride: 2008 328Xi
Performance upgrades for E91

I recently purchased a 2008 328Xi wagon as a replacement to my 2001 325 Xi which was sadly totaled in a rear ender. My 325 was a great ride & the 328 is even sweeter. I was curious what performance upgrades if any are of value & worth pursuing? I've noticed quite a few products available such as the Power Box from Burger Motor Sports, the cold air intake from aFe, Remus exhaust, etc. & was interested who all has had success with any of these products as well as any others not mentioned. Each company I've contacted has certainly laid claim to their product(s) being the best. There also seems to be conflicting info regarding actual gains to be had & what approach is the best route to take. It would seem that engine management, exhaust & air intake all play a role & one could seemingly benefit from the addition of any or all. Any feedback / direct experience in this arena would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Bill.
R90s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
I am surprised no one has replied on this, but I have the same interest. I probably will stick with BMW Performance or Dinan products if and when I modify my E91. I had a BMW Performance intake on my 2005 325iT and a BMW Performance exhaust and I liked both a lot. I think there were more forum enthusiasts using the Magnaflow exhaust, however, so I might look into that a bit more carefully. Don't expect big gains from this or a chip, but it should help a little. I did not get a chip on my E46, but that might be worth considering as well. Dinan makes one for the E46 and probably for the E90 as well.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
tootall

I just checked Dinan and it appears that no suspension upgrades are offered for E91, although sedan parts might work, and no chip is offered. Intake and exhaust enhancements for the sedan would seemingly work.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
What exactly are you looking for?

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
For N52 intakes I always suggest anyone who's looking at an aftermarket unit also take a look at the N52 Euro air box (LINK), it provides similar gains but has factory fitment. For the exhaust Remus does sound great, as does the Magnaflow systems, listen to clips on YouTube to get an idea of how they sound as each system has it's on "notes".

tootall mentioned suspension; depending on what you want from the car you could go down the path of shocks and springs (H&R springs paired with Bilstein shocks are a very popular combo), or make the jump to coilovers (LINK) and take control over your ride height and have the option to adjust damping.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
tootall

I definitely want to lower the car a bit. I had a hard time finding an E91 with manual shift and even harder time finding one with sport package. Both options together are extremely rare. My 2011 only has 1800 miles on it, so I will wear out the original suspension a bit before doing anything. I like to plan ahead though. The ECS options are very good.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Asetoy2nr

My Ride: 07 328i
I recently bought a 2007 328i. I installed an AFE Stage 2 PRO5R cold air system, and AFE air scoops. My throttle response feels snappier, and it has a nice growl under hard acceleration. I would suggest the BMW Motorsports or the European intake if you like a quiet vehicle. If you do go with AFE the car will fall flat on its face, on hard acceleration, until the pcm learns the new airflow adjustment. Mine took a day or two.
The BMS powerbox is a piggy back device that can be turned off to go to the dealer. The performance re-flash will be noticed, and the dealer can refuse to do repairs under warranty. If the dealer re-flashes a new update on your pcm you will lose the performance tune.
For your exhaust I will suggest to YouTube the different exhaust systems. Lots of choices with different sound levels. I'm going with Magnaflow 16537 it's quiet and has good reviews.
Hope this helps, happy tuning!
Asetoy2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
optimaxed

My Ride: 328i
BMW PE has a beautiful sound, no drone and not obtrusive on the highway
optimaxed is offline   Reply With Quote