Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Arpy303

My Ride: 06 325xi
2006 325xi front diff

I just got back from my dealer and was told the pinion gear in my front diff is going out. I took it in for a whining sound and after two days that was the consensus. The dealership wants to stick me with almost $2700 to fix it. I was told I have to replace the whole unit at a cost of almost 1800 for just the diff. Is this close? Or should I be looking other places too? I won't be coming into money enough to fix it for a while so I'm looking at all my options. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Arpy303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
pifane

My Ride: Many
What was the maintenence schedule?
pifane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Fahrer

My Ride: 2008 328xi
How many miles do you have on your car? Was this diagnosis from the BMW dealer in Boulder? I have the same model and mine is whining too at 72K miles. These front differentials require no fluid change nor any other routine maintenance as far as what the driver's manual and the Bentley manual say, so I don't think there has been any negligence as far as changing fluids, etc.

Last edited by Fahrer; 11-26-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Fahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Fahrer

Arpy303,
Any update yet on this situation?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Arpy303

So, my car has 120k miles on it now. I took it to two other places to get opinions/ quotes. One of the other two places, the tech absolutely insisted it was my transfer case. I went ahead and trusted his instincts and fixed the t-case. He was correct, and my problem has been solved. He said that the winning sound is very indicative of a diff gear or t-case gear dying, but it was the hard shifts and the microphones he attached to my car showed the t-case making a ruckus. A little long winded but if you are hearing a faint whining sound when the pedal is being depressed with hard shifts check the T-case.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Fahrer

Arpy303,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to learn that you had this problem, but glad that you got it resolved in a satisfactory way. My car is not shifting hard (other than that obnoxious clutch deactivator that BMW installs), but does "rumble" in the front. If the noise does not go away with a set of new tires, I am going to see if there is a problem such as yours. If I may ask, can you tell about how much this fix cost you?
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Arpy303

I'm amazed I still have all my appendages to be honest. A new transfer case ran $2500 itself plus labor. I was out the door for right at about $3000, ($3145 with tax). The front diff was quoted at $2500 out the door. So I ran a little more with the transfer case.

I wish you luck on your repairs and hope it is the tires. My noise went on for probably 4 months and 2000 miles before it was bad enough to get checked out. It was just a noise at first and had no hard shifting until the last 2 weeks before getting fixed, I was almost scared to move my car. It deteriorated fast when the gears started to shift hard. Hope that gives you some help.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Arpy303

To your question in your first response; yes, it was the BMW (Gebhart) in Boulder. I am not sure if you live here in CO but I ended up going to The German Car Shoppe in Littleton.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Fahrer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpy303 View Post
To your question in your first response; yes, it was the BMW (Gebhart) in Boulder. I am not sure if you live here in CO but I ended up going to The German Car Shoppe in Littleton.
Thanks for the additional information. That is a chunk of change for the repair.
I live in Fort Collins, not far from Boulder, and bought my 325xi used in Boulder. I will go to a trusted indie shop here if I need repair such as yours.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Fahrer

Whining problem solved, not mechanical! I just changed out the old Pirelli tires for a new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWSs and all of the whining noise from the front end of my car is gone. Sounds and drives like a new car. We had a snow dump last night and the 325xi now carves through the snow like our Subaru. Dodged the $$$ problem this time.