Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
alx4n

Chipping my 335i at this point.. good idea?

Hi-

Figured the best place to get advice would be here, the community of experts and fanatics.

My 335i 2009 has about 75,000 miles. Just purchased it last month after a 2 year lease..

I'm thinking about chipping it..

Dinan guys at the BMW dealer said no, same with a couple other people. Basically saying the same thing, you don't chip an older car. Software is something you do in the early stage of it's life.

Are they right about this? Would adding some kick to my car at this stage make it a perfect breeding ground for issues and malfunctions? Or is it cool?

Thanks for the help.
alx4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Hybrid For Life

My Ride: BMW E90
e90 post would be of alot more assitance, FYI
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
BMW335i07

My Ride: 335i
What's up man I have a 2007 335i with about 90,000 and I have a stage 1 chip from Dinan. And It runs great you'll love it. Yea I know its has a lot of miles on it and ppl say don't do it but as long as you keep it well maintain, it should last you a while. I also have a cold air intake from Dinan and other parts on it. And I love that way it runs. It's gonna cost you a couple of thousand but if you got the money, **** it.
BMW335i07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
M3LIKECHIPS

My Ride: Prius
^ This guy sounds retarded.

with anything aftermarket, its all the roll of the dice. I dont forsee problems if its been taken care of, but you never know.
M3LIKECHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
If the guy who would be selling you the product says it isn't a good idea, it's probably not a good idea.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
My E46 was introduced to FI at 130k miles. Still going strong at 170k.

IMO the maintenance history of your vehicle outweighs the amount of miles your car has.

I'd be interested in what type of history the dealer could provide you assuming it was serviced there.

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
alx4n if there car is well maintained I wouldn't hesitate to load a performance tune on her, such as the Cobb Stage 1 tune.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
SJ_1989

My Ride: '08 E90 335i
If the car wasn't maintained very well in its previous ownership the weaknesses may surface after you tune it, regardless of what tune you decide to get
SJ_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
BMW#1_323i

My Ride: Loves curves!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ_1989 View Post
If the car wasn't maintained very well in its previous ownership the weaknesses may surface after you tune it, regardless of what tune you decide to get
If my Grandma had balls she would be my Grandad.....your post is worthless.
BMW#1_323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
SJ_1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW#1_323i View Post
And yours is meaningful to the OP?

It's a fact that problems will surface with your car by tuning it if it's not up to "snuff". Sure you may not notice any problems running stock settings but add a tuner and I assure you will have issues down the road. You are demanding more out of the engine than what it was originally designed for.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
BMW#1_323i

This from a guy who probably never wrenches on his car and sells when the warranty is out....Do you even know how a tune works? I have seen so many posts like this....Tell me, when is the "right" time to tune your car? Is it just after the break-in period? Is it when you get to 15,000 miles so that the engine has had a chance to prove itself? You do realize that when an engine is chosen for racing purposes, it is preferred to use a "seasoned" block....Hmmmm, I wonder why...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
SJ_1989

Quote:
This from a guy who probably never wrenches on his car and sells when the warranty is out....Do you even know how a tune works? I have seen so many posts like this....Tell me, when is the "right" time to tune your car? Is it just after the break-in period? Is it when you get to 15,000 miles so that the engine has had a chance to prove itself? You do realize that when an engine is chosen for racing purposes, it is preferred to use a "seasoned" block....Hmmmm, I wonder why...
For starters you don't know me or what background I come from. FYI, I perform all my own work and don't have warranty on my car. So......

I never once said it was the wrong time to tune it. I've seen N54's tuned from 5,000 miles and others are on 100k miles with no problems. Don't believe me then look on the other forums. I'm not saying don't tune it, I would. All I'm saying is that the N54 platform (or any other platform for that matter) was designed with a specific duty cycle in mind. Altering that duty cycle changes the life of the components. From what I've been seeing lately with all this E85 tuning, single turbo upgrades, it looks like BMW over engineered some things.

There is a huge difference between "seasoned" and "worn". He may not know how well the car was taken care of by the previous owner(s). It could have been owned by a 20 year old with mommy and daddy's money and beat the %&@$ out of. With more power there is always more risk associated.

I will admit that I don't know all there is about engines because that's not what my background is in. But this is general knowledge. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him one.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
hey buddy your being very rude and acting like a teenager that only wants things his way. the guy your conversing with seems intelligent and has some good advice no need to be such a dou#he
Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
BMW#1_323i

Quote:
You posted this....

Quote:
You got this...meaning that is one hell of an if. If the car was leased as stated, chances are it was maintained.

Quote:
And yours is meaningful to the OP?

Touche sir.

It's a fact that problems will surface with your car by tuning it if it's not up to "snuff". Sure you may not notice any problems running stock settings but add a tuner and I assure you will have issues down the road. You are demanding more out of the engine than what it was originally designed for.
The "fact" is that problems will surface...it is only a matter of time my friend. No matter how well you take care of them. Since BMW over designs pretty much everything, this is probably one of the best cars to modify/tune.

Quote:
Yeah I took a shot at you, big deal...first time?

Quote:
For starters you don't know me or what background I come from. FYI, I perform all my own work and don't have warranty on my car. So......

I never once said it was the wrong time to tune it. I've seen N54's tuned from 5,000 miles and others are on 100k miles with no problems. Don't believe me then look on the other forums. I'm not saying don't tune it, I would. All I'm saying is that the N54 platform (or any other platform for that matter) was designed with a specific duty cycle in mind. Altering that duty cycle changes the life of the components. From what I've been seeing lately with all this E85 tuning, single turbo upgrades, it looks like BMW over engineered some things.

There is a huge difference between "seasoned" and "worn". He may not know how well the car was taken care of by the previous owner(s). It could have been owned by a 20 year old with mommy and daddy's money and beat the %&@$ out of. With more power there is always more risk associated.

I will admit that I don't know all there is about engines because that's not what my background is in. But this is general knowledge. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him one.
You are correct, I don't know you, nor do you know me or the car in question for that matter. The guy is on here asking opinions about tuning his car which has 75,000 miles on it. You tell him that if it wasn't maintained properly it will begin to fail if you tune it. If it wasn't maintained properly it will fail if you don't tune it.

My point is that an engine is better off to be tuned after it has some mileage on it. I think we can agree on this. Since the car was leased I don't think the 20 something scenario has happened but that's the chance you take.

Just so we are all clear...I would tune this car. I see no problem with the mileage and would not think twice about it.

I think we are both trying to help the OP out just in different ways.

I apologize if I came off as rude...I would have called it snide or possibly sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
Hey buddy, you're being very rude and acting like a teenager that only wants things his way. The guy you're conversing with seems intelligent and has some good advice. No need to be such a dou#he
Hey Pal, I'm sorry...when did you become part of this conversation? Are you an internet bouncer here to straighten me out? Is this how you got your high post count? God knows you aren't an English major. Judging by your lack of punctuation, it is you that is the teenager. By the way, I corrected your mishaps. Next you will be threatening me....Get over it...you have nothing to say here...move on. Pfft.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
OP I suggest seeking advice from an experienced tuner for example Cobb in TX. I'm sure they have tuned cars similar to yours and could provide general recommendations. I have a 335i with 45k on it and I just recently went with a stage 1 ecu flash from Cobb.

Good luck.
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
montchobadmoves

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007
know a guy who chipped is 335i 2007 with 80k and bit it like ****, after 3 week, both turbo gone, tip tronic transmission broken engine head crack. There have a way to tune a car and adding power first, is never the best idea.
montchobadmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
tibra1

My Ride: 2011 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LIKECHIPS View Post
^ This guy sounds retarded.
with anything aftermarket, its all the roll of the dice. I dont forsee problems if its been taken care of, but you never know.
tibra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
MF08335

My Ride: 08 335i
Your 335i is fine to chip. You can pick up a Split Second Turbo Tuner for under $250 on EBay, they take less than 20 min to install. I put mine on a dino after installing and got a 50 hp jump.
MF08335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
honray

My Ride: 2006 325CI
I put a BMS JB4 & DCI on a 335i E90 and the car is so much nicer to drive even when I am not pushing it... I can't imagine going back to stock. Had 65k on the car. If it blows up, I'll post it here. It's worth it. Like driving a brand new car I've never met. Shifts are noticeably smoother between 1st and 2nd... car feels like it was meant to be be this way.
honray is offline   Reply With Quote