Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Seanla

My Ride: 2011 335i Convertibl
N55 Fuel injector gone bad - $3,000?

Hi everyone. I have a 2011 335i convertible (N55 engine) with 67,500 miles. Recently, 1 hour into a spirited drive with auto in manual mode and revs around 4000 RPM, the service engine soon light came on along with that half black/orange motor symbol. In park the engine would shake the car on revving. Turned off car for 15 minutes and car was fine. Brought it into an indy shop specializing in BMW, Audi & Porsche. Mechanic computer scanned and measured values to find that #6 injector’s is failing with higher resistance than rest. Rather than replacing a single bad injector, he says that all 6 injectors have to be replaced together – despite the other 5 being good - because they work together via computer. Cost of replacing all 6 injectors is $3000 +. At this point all we did was replace the spark plugs. He said I will have to do the work soon as this misfiring & engine shaking will get worse. So is this mechanic correct? Do I really have to replace all 6 together instead of just the bad injector? $3,000? I’d appreciate your input on this….
Seanla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
I'd replace all 6. Why wait until each of the other 5 go out and you have this same issue 5 more times. $3000 sounds high. You might try to get some quotes from other shops before proceeding. I have not had to replace the injectors on mine yet.

Upgrade your 328 with a 330 intake: http://forum.e90fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1095889
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Seanla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
I'd replace all 6. Why wait until each of the other 5 go out and you have this same issue 5 more times. $3000 sounds high. You might try to get some quotes from other shops before proceeding. I have not had to replace the injectors on mine yet.
Thanks Tootall.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Seanla

UPDATE: Guys, I can't believe how crooked that indy mechanic was. I took the car to the dealer and they diagnosed it as ONE ignition coil gone bad (cylinder 1). Repair cost including diagnostic ($484). The indy mechanic told me it would cost me $3,000 to replace all 6 fuel injectors! He also told me my HPFP was borderline and would go bad in future. Dealer says HPFP is fine. Avoid a company called Euro-Tech in Culver City and Marina del Rey CA for your BMW, Audi or Porsche.
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #5
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanla View Post
UPDATE: Guys, I can't believe how crooked that indy mechanic was. I took the car to the dealer and they diagnosed it as ONE ignition coil gone bad (cylinder 1). Repair cost including diagnostic ($484). The indy mechanic told me it would cost me $3,000 to replace all 6 fuel injectors! He also told me my HPFP was borderline and would go bad in future. Dealer says HPFP is fine. Avoid a company called Euro-Tech in Culver City and Marina del Rey CA for your BMW, Audi or Porsche.
Amazing how daring some of these shops are. If it smells bad, try another.

Upgrade your 328 with a 330 intake: http://forum.e90fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1095889
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel inectors, fuel injector replacement, fuel injectors, n55 engine