Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
notslow

My Ride: 03 e46 4dr
Question 335is available option packages?

Hi Guys,
I'm from E46Fanatics and just got in the market for an E92. I am still a little unsure what the exact differences are between the 335i and 335is. Is there a faq somewhere I missed?
I know the is has more power and an extra boost feature, but does it have all of the M sport parts or is the M sport package still an option?

Thanks
notslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
The 335is has the N55 engine (single twin scroll turbo) instead of the N54 (two tiny turbos). Other than that, basic options and packages remain the same, i.e. sport package, premium, etc. There's a few cosmetic differences on the outside, the 335is has some different wheels, and the back bumper looks a little different. That's about it I think.
atinybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #3
notslow

Is there a consensus on which engine is more reliable or which turbo will last longer? Is one turbo more expensive than the other to replace?

Anyone here with a 335is M sport that has input on the car? I've done some searches for 335is with M package and I only find standard 335i threads or 335is vs 335i M sport threads.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
notslow

Not much input on these cars. I can't seem to find a FAQ either.

I'm already wary about a turbo car, I'd just like to know that if I buy one of these it's not going to be spitting turbo vanes down the intake after a few years.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
jailonacs99

My Ride: 2011 335is
335is available option packages?

The 335is still has the N54 engine, it's been tuned to output 320 HP and 332 ft/lb of torque with the boost to 370 on hard acceleration. The car also has a free flow exhaust unique from the regular i that sounds absolutely amazing. It has a slightly lower suspension than the 335i as well, and extra cooling. It's basically designed to be a daily driver that you can also track. The lower half of the bumper is actually a rear diffuser.

I've driven both and the driving dynamics of the 335is blew the 335i away, it was incredible how much those differences added up. Especially how the engine pulls and accelerates across nearly the entire RPM band.

If you can, I would recommend the 335is over the i. The is' don't really vary between the 3 years they produced them, and a lot of the 2011s are still finishing out the original warranty. The other major difference is the DCT transmission, only available otherwise on the M3s. I opted for a 6 speed but DCT would've been even faster off the line (has a launch control function).

M-Sport parts are automatically included, so other available options are Nav, convenience package, cold weather, HK sound, USB, 313 wheels, etc.

Last edited by jailonacs99; 05-29-2014 at 01:22 AM.
jailonacs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
notslow

Thanks so much jailonacs99. I have been doing some reading and the 7 speed DTC sounds nice. Will be test driving one this week. I also looked into turbo costs. The 335is turbos are about 600-650 each. The 335i turbo is around 2000.00 so sometimes more is less...expensive.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
jailonacs99

My Ride: 2011 335is
Do you mean if you had to replace it? I'm actually not very concerned about the is' N54 engine. The HPFP and early turbo cooling problems seem to have been made more reliable over the years. This last iteration of the N54 is arguably the most reliable then, vs what was a brand new N55 engine in the regular 2011 335i. I've heard a couple of shops and dealers say the same.

The only issue I've had so far is an exhaust rattle on cold startup that I've seen on a few different 335is owners complain about around this mileage. I'm still in the original warranty/maintenance plan though so plan to take it to a dealer this week.

Good luck with the test drives!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
notslow

I did mean to replace it. Turbos eventually fail. It's nice to know they won't cost a fortune to replace.
Update, we got a 2012 Saphire black 335is convertible.
The car is awesome, but seems to have an issue with recognizing music through USB or bluetooth

Also, a question for owners. Did your car include the wind deflector or trunk net? I'm wondering if these were supposed to come with or if they are another paid option.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
kingoftone

I have a 2011 335is. Purchased it CPO last September. I have always liked cars and this is my third BMW. I am almost ashamed to say that I am in love with this car. The seemingly endless torque, the sound of the exhaust. I'm a musician who usually listens to music constantly but I find myself opening the windows and listening to the gurgle of the exhaust.

To your question. I did not get any trunk netting. I'm not sure what you mean by reflector?

kingoftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
notslow

After more research, I found that the cargo get and wind deflector are optional equipment.

The wind deflector mounts in those holes in the rear passenger side panels on the convertible. It keeps the wind from being so turbulent with the top down.

Also, there are two different cargo nets. One has pins that slide into keyholes in the trunk floor. This won't work on the 335is since it doesn't have these, at least not in the convertible. The one with the hooks works. I'm curious if the coupe had the mount on the trunk floor for the smaller cargo net.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
kingoftone

My 2011 335is just has hooks that fold out on the side of the trunk near the back seats, and hooks on the other end if the trunk space incorporated into the plastic that houses the latch.

kingoftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
notslow

So all of the 335is must use the larger cargo net with the hooks.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
vldavis

Just to add to what has already been said:
I bought a 345is convertible last July and love driving it, especially with the top down. The extra power and handling is great and I love the exhaust sound.

Besides the parts mentioned above as part of the "is" package, there are 12 way sports seats, special aluminum trim, gauges, M shifter, steering wheel, door thresholds, and pedals, blacked out grills, M style front facia and air dam, side aero rocker panels, special wheels, additional oil cooler and water coolers. The wind deflector was an extra accessory. I got mine for a good price on EBay. It helps quite a bit. The new 4 series convertibles come with the deflector but the manual transmission is no longer available on the convertibles. :-(

I'm glad I got one while they are still available.

Vernon

vldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
336is m sport