Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Fatjoe4

My Ride: 2000 323i
Thinking of buying a 07 335i from a friend.

So a friend called me yesterday to see if I want to buy his 335I its 2007 with 80,000 mi it's a twin turbo with sport package 2 door looks real sharp he is wanting 13,000 for it is that a good price? I have a 2000 323i at the moment with 210,000 miles on it I've put a lot of work in to it and kind ready to upgrade! Are the 335's very reliable? And can they be worked on at all or do they have to be taken into the dealer for things. I'm a pretty good mechanic but with the newer car I just don't know how much I'll be able to work on it.
Fatjoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
E36graduate

My Ride: //M3
$13K is a great price! I'm not sure how well you know your friend, but there is probably some stuff that needs attention or was neglected, especially if he is giving the car away??? But for that price, I would jump on it. It's pretty pathetic that these N54's are selling so cheap, I don't get it?

Is it a 6MT or Auto?
Has it been modded at all?

With a little money, you will have one of the quickest cars out there!

If you can work on an E46, you can do the work on a E90.

Biggest issues would be the turbo's. My stock turbo's are at 132K miles and all seems fine so I'm lucky.

Buy it, sell your E46 for $4K-$5K and put some money aside. Drive the N54 for a little while working out all the kinks (brakes, tires, suspension, gremlins,etc). get a good feel for 300 hp and then take $500 from your E46 sale and install the JB4/DCI and you will be hooked on your new purchase!!! Then you can start messing around with lowering your suspension, adding down pipes, methanol, etc....

Post some pics, of both your rides!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Fatjoe4

Thanks for the reply!
It's a 6 auto is it a good transmission?
Also how much would it cost to replace the turbos if they do go out?
And what goes bad on the turbos the bearings?
And why is it such a big deal the fuel pumps go bad they go bad on ever car at some point! Are they a pain to replace?

I just don't want to get in over my head with it. But I would love to have it!

Thanks for all the info it helps more than you know
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
ModBargains IV
Sponsor

My Ride: E90 335i, Honda Fit
Fuel pumps are covered by BMW for 100,000 miles I think. It's a known issue so dealerships will cover it. I would recommend going in completely stock form. The BMW fuel pump prematurely fails which is the real issue.

If your turbos go out, you can always look to upgrade to some VARGAS TURBO:

http://www.modbargains.com/vargas-turbo.htm

-Frank

We Specialize In: BMW Rims | BMW Tail Lights | BMW Exhaust | Remus Exhaust | Injen Intake | KW Suspension
Frank Kim | Frank@Modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext 8003
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00AM-6:00PM, Saturday 8:00AM-5:00PM (PST)
| Our Blog
ModBargains IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
E36graduate

My Ride: //M3
BMW's are well engineered cars, I just never bought an automatic. Dont know much about them either? Unless your friend beat the crap out of the tranny, you should be good. At least you won't need to replace the clutch like I had to!!!

If turbo's go, the stock ones are like $600 each (labor is where you get hurt). I think it is the actuators that are the big problem/rattles. Most opt for bigger turbo's and more power. Again, if the prior owner changed his oil and didn't beat the crap out of the car you don't need to worry about the turbo's for quite a while....I'm at 132,000 miles and being modded for about half and my orignial turbo's are fine.

I dont think the HPFP (fuel pump) is a big deal. It sits under your intake manifold and is quite easy to replace. Think it costs $250 plus your labor. It is also covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles.

Anytime I buy a used BMW (never bought brand new) I research the forums and have a good idea on what to look out for. Search the forums e90 posts...for 335i automatic tranny issues.

If you are half decent with tools and can read forums, you will be able to get the 335 and have some fun.

Is the car still for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatjoe4 View Post
Thanks for the reply!
It's a 6 auto is it a good transmission?
Also how much would it cost to replace the turbos if they do go out?
And what goes bad on the turbos the bearings?
And why is it such a big deal the fuel pumps go bad they go bad on ever car at some point! Are they a pain to replace?

I just don't want to get in over my head with it. But I would love to have it!

Thanks for all the info it helps more than you know
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Fatjoe4

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back up here thank you very much for the info it has been very very helpful!
He did sell it to someone else for 16 grand. but I'm keeping my eyes open and I still been looking to buy one

Tags
2007, 335i, twin turbo