Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > BMW E90 Forums > E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum

E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio - General Forum
The E9X is the latest evolution of the BMW 3 series including the highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! Post questions about "upgrading" from your current E46 here or jump over to E90Fanatics.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Augster

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport
Question Steering Wheel Turning Noise

Many times when turning the steering wheel while driving I hear what sounds like a "stretching," "zippering," or finely-pitched clicking effect behind the steering wheel or dash; the harder/faster I turn, the louder/more pronounced it may get, to the point that I may be able to slightly notice it in the steering wheel.

Annoying, but so far, doesn't appear to be harmful as far as I can tell.

Google search came across similar but older reports, but no definitive answers. This is not the same as the shuddering or more aggressive vibration that others have experienced.

So I'm wondering if this has particular nuance been finally identified and hopefully addressed.
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
wassupdud21

My Ride: 02 M3
I'm having the same issue, still can't find anything to solve this. Thought it was the differential, even changed differential fluid twice no fix. You think it could be the wheel bearings?
wassupdud21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Wretched

My Ride: 330i
I am not crazy! I hear it also. Almost like running your finger nail down the side of tent. It is a real light noise that only I hear it seems. I hope someone has info for us.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Augster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupdud21 View Post
You think it could be the wheel bearings?
Can't be because it's only noticeable when steering. And the noise continues a few moments after the steering wheel stops turning.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Wretched

My Ride: 330i
We have separate problems. Mine only does it when the steering wheelis being turned.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Augster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
We have separate problems. Mine only does it when the steering wheelis being turned.
For the most part, the sounds only coincide with the steering wheel turning. On rare occasions, the sound briefly continues after the steering wheels stops turning.

IMO, the sounds we are hearing are too similar to be completely different issues. They may have slightly differing symptoms (variability from car to car), but the coincidence is too great to not be based on the same issue.

Last edited by Augster; 09-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Melanio

My Ride: 335i
Sameshit
Melanio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
wassupdud21

Has anyone found the solution to this. I'm trying real hard to get this fixed, hearing that noise when driving is real embarrassing.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Augster

Not yet. For me, the zippering sound is intermittent, and not very often. And when it does happen, it's usually very faint and barely discernible when I don't have the radio on.

So I haven't been pursuing it heavily.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Melanio

My Ride: 335i
My **** is getting worse got a 335i sedan and like someone said its embarissing to drive this beautiful car pass bitches and have it squel lol
Melanio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
wassupdud21

I just can't believe no one has had this issue and cant help us out with this.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Augster

Well, after a quiet spell. I started hearing the steering noise intermittently again, but this time louder, and more "rubbery" rubbing sound. And it definitely sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the dash. I wonder if it's a steering column bushing, hence the rubber "stretching" sound...

And wonder if the colder weather has something to do with (rubber is not as pliant).

Last edited by Augster; 11-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
I only hear that time of noise when turning the wheels on a painted floor, like in my garage. Is that the type of noise you hear?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Augster

I know that type of sound you are referring to, but no, it's more like rubber-on-steel; a "grippier" sound. And I'm not sure if you are referring to how it sounds or if you are referring to where you hear "steering" sounds. The surface where I'm turning and hear the sound is definitely not painted cement but your typical asphalt or bare, dry concrete (driveway).
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Augster

This rubber rubbing sound is now more prevalent than ever and very loud with my girlfriend and another friend even commenting on it (during the summertime, the sound was barely noticeable by just myself), which seems to coincide with the onset of colder weather here in SoCal. Examining RealOEM schematics, the only culprit that I can ascertain is perhaps a rubberized bushing within the steering column itself. Or the clock spring (doubtful, because the sound appears to be emanating from somewhere behind the dash). All the other steering components are basically metal-to-metal (universal joints of lower steering column assembly, steering rack and pinion, tie rod ball joints).

There are no serviceable (i.e. replaceable) components within the expensive steering column assembly.

Maybe someday when I swap to an M-Sport steering wheel, I may disassemble the steering column somewhat to see if there is anything I can get lube into to suppress this annoying sound. In the meantime, there appears to be no solution other than outright replacement of the entire steering column assembly...

Last edited by Augster; 12-15-2013 at 08:53 AM.