Welcome to the E90Fanatics forums. E90Fanatics is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your E90 Sedan, E91 Touring, E92 Coupe or E93 Cabrio -- E90Fanatics is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E90Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #81
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
honestly, I work because I get pleasure out of it. even if I were a billionaire, I would always have some sort of business going.

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #82
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
I thought about this this morning. The 40 hour week was establish during the industrial revolutuion, where individuals worked for big, blue collar industry. Then that transphered to the 9 to 5 white collar mentality. Then we got stuck.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #83
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
personally, i'd be down for alternating between working full-time for full pay one year and then half-time for half pay the next
Old 04-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #84
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Benjamin Franklin said: [INDENT]"If every Man and Woman would work for four Hours each Day on something useful, that Labour would produce sufficient to procure all the Necessities and Comforts of Life, Want and Misery would be banished out of the World, and the rest of the 24 hours might be Leisure and Pleasure."
Sounds like communism to me.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #85
IluvMy328i

My Ride: Miss Daisy
I saw an interesting thing on TV a while back, it had to do with the 'Keeping up with the Jones'" mentality and it went something like...What scenario would you rather?

Making 200k a year,while everyone around you was making 250k....or 100k a year while everyone else was making 50k?

Guess which one 80% chose?

I think there in lies the answer to your "question/dilemma"

4-Headed Monster

Chappin' azz since '07'

Miss me yet?
IluvMy328i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #86
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvMy328i View Post
I saw an interesting thing on TV a while back, it had to do with the 'Keeping up with the Jones'" mentality and it went something like...What scenario would you rather?

Making 200k a year,while everyone around you was making 250k....or 100k a year while everyone else was making 50k?

Guess which one 80% chose?

I think there in lies the answer to your "question/dilemma"
I'm assuming the 100k. Goes to show you how jealous and stupid people are.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #87
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
The Economist talks about "The coming storm" - 47% of today's jobs could be automated within 20 years "No government is prepared for it." Suggests a radical rethinking of education and redistributive taxes towards lower-wage workers

Excerpts:
Quote:
Although innovation kills some jobs, it creates new and better ones, as a more productive society becomes richer and its wealthier inhabitants demand more goods and services. A hundred years ago one in three American workers was employed on a farm. Today less than 2% of them produce far more food. The millions freed from the land were not consigned to joblessness, but found better-paid work as the economy grew more sophisticated. Today the pool of secretaries has shrunk, but there are ever more computer programmers and web designers.

Optimism remains the right starting-point, but for workers the dislocating effects of technology may make themselves evident faster than its benefits. Even if new jobs and wonderful products emerge, in the short term income gaps will widen, causing huge social dislocation and perhaps even changing politics. Technology's impact will feel like a tornado, hitting the rich world first, but eventually sweeping through poorer countries too. No government is prepared for it.

One recent study by academics at Oxford University suggests that 47% of today's jobs could be automated in the next two decades.

Shunning progress would be as futile now as the Luddites' protests against mechanised looms were in the 1810s, because any country that tried to stop would be left behind by competitors eager to embrace new technology.

Innovation has brought great benefits to humanity. Nobody in their right mind would want to return to the world of handloom weavers. But the benefits of technological progress are unevenly distributed, especially in the early stages of each new wave, and it is up to governments to spread them. In the 19th century it took the threat of revolution to bring about progressive reforms. Today's governments would do well to start making the changes needed before their people get angry.
The article sounds a bit alarmist and proposes some half-hearted solutions with little confidence. Has anyone considered, however, that maybe it's not absolutely mandatory that every person spend half their waking hours working just for the sake of working? Since productivity has gone up and automation has taken the place of lots of manual labor, why not take the saved hours and give them back to the people? These hours could be applied to volunteering, spending time with family, learning new things, hobbies, etc...
Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #88
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Why are you so lazy.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #89
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
can I spend my free time stancing Hondas? If so, I'm in.

Ask an Insurance Adjuster Anything
Cup of Joe for a Joe!
http://www.greenbeanscoffee.com/coj/
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #90
choxor

I will show you the way.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #91
NOVAbimmer

Cup of Joe for a Joe!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #92
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
I work because i like to work!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #93
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
90% of men work cuz without success the quality of the Pu$$y you get in the long run will be horrible. Say it aint so, but Im trying to reach success so I can weed out the gold diggers and find a good girl. However, during the weeding out I'm not trying to fvck with mingers and uggos (which is all i would get if i were broke, FACT)

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #94
choxor

Can someone translate that into at least a third grade level. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #95
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: Ghey Mobile
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
90% of men work cuz without success the quality of the Pu$$y you get in the long run will be horrible. Say it aint so, but Im trying to reach success so I can weed out the gold diggers and find a good girl. However, during the weeding out I'm not trying to fvck with mingers and uggos (which is all i would get if i were broke, FACT)
The gold diggers are the ones you have to weed out ONCE you reach success
nikkeiS2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #96
NOVAbimmer

Success, like happiness, is not something to be sought after and attained like a prize. Success and happiness are the side-effects of doing something meaningful, serving a greater cause than ones own desires.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Cup of Joe for a Joe!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #97
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
In Italy you'll find a lot of shops are closed during lunch and across Europe NO ONE works on Sundays. My Swedish friend gets 4 weeks PTO and can "buy" more (AKA just take more time but not get paid). Australians have it the same. Fvck our backward-ass work ethic. Quality of life > *
You can buy vacation time at some companies here in Canada. Local govt is like that too

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #98
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Can someone translate that into at least a third grade level. Thanks in advance.
the ship of learning must be booked

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #99
pakman3

My Ride: piece

Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #100
TheDeadner

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'm assuming the 100k. Goes to show you how jealous and stupid people are.
I would also assume the 100k but for different reasons than you think apparently. Only a moron would choose to make 200k while everyone else made 250k. It has nothing to do with jealousy, it has to do with basic economics. If 250k was the average income, the prices of everything would go up to match. You'd be making 50k less than average and would have very little buying power in comparison to your peers.
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote